Your application has gotten you an interview for an exciting next step in your career. Asking thoughtful questions during an interview is an opportunity to demonstrate that you have done your research and are serious about the job. Smart questions also can set you apart from other candidates, particularly if you show that you understand the organization’s challenges and are invested in a future there.
The following questions are not meant to be used verbatim; instead, use this list as a starting point from which you develop questions that are specific to the organization and position you are pursuing.
Questions About the Organization
- How does the organization define and measure success?
- What are the biggest challenges/opportunities facing the organization now?
- Where do you think the organization is headed in the next 5 years?
- What gets you most excited about the company’s future?
Questions About the Role
- Can you tell me about the day-to-day responsibilities of this role?
- What are the most important skills for someone in this role to possess?
- How is success evaluated for this role?
- What is the performance review process like?
- What can you tell me about the team I would be working with?
- Who will I report to directly?
Questions About Professional Development
- What is the training process for the role?
- Does the organization offer continuing education and/or training opportunities?
- What is the typical career path for someone in this role?
- Where have successful employees advanced within the organization?
Questions for Your Interviewer(s)
- How long have you been with the organization?
- What do you love most about working for the organization?
- What qualities or skills have made you most successful here?
- What can you tell me about the organization’s culture?
Follow Up Questions
- Is there anything else I could provide you with that would be helpful?
- What is the next step in the hiring process?
- When should I expect to hear from you next?