We talked to a number of people working in public health across Latin America and the Caribbean. They said some of their biggest challenges were maternal health, family planning, Zika response, HIV/AIDS prevention, healthy relationships, vaccine development and water sanitation.
Here are some resources on each of these health issues for you to use as you take action on the YLAI Health & Wellness pledge. This list includes businesses run by YLAI fellows that have embraced public-private partnerships to address these and related issues through their products and services.
What will you do with this information to improve public health?
- Kira (Founded by 2017 YLAI Fellow Mayra Delgado): Delivers infant survival kits to low income Peruvian mothers.
- Pan-American Center of Perinatology, Women and Reproductive Health
- PAHO Initiative: Zero Maternal Deaths by Hemorrhage
- Every Woman Every Child Latin America and the Caribbean
- Yanapaña (Founded by 2016 YLAI Fellow Gabriel Alborta): A free medical platform that allows users to anonymously ask questions and receive reliable advice from a previously validated doctor for any health concerns.
- Instituto PROINAPSA de la Universidad Industrial de Santander (WHO Collaborating Center)
- World Health Organization: Family Planning
- “Integrating Family Planning into other Development Sectors” by fhi360
- PAHO Virtual Health Library: Infection by Zika Virus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Zika Virus – Communication Resources
- Brazilian Ministry of Health: #MosquitoNão
- TransWave Jamaica (Founded by 2017 YLAI Fellow Neish McLean): Seeks to address the lack of safe spaces, trans-inclusive health care services and legislation reform that recognizes the existence of transgender Jamaicans.
- PEPFAR: The United States President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief
- Pan American Health Organization: HIV and Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Beauty Value (Founded by 2017 YLAI Fellow Eva Herbert): Committed to providing women with greater self- acceptance to counteract bullying, eating disorders and gender-based violence.
- Pan American Health Organization: Family Violence Program
- Sexual Violence Research Initiative (WHO Partner)
- LabNettings (Founded by 2017 YLAI Fellow Paulina Salazar Torres): An online platform where scientists can communicate and share resources.
- Pan American Health Organization: Vaccination
- GAVI: The Global Vaccine Alliance (WHO Partner)
- LZY Limitless Zenith Insolation (Founded by 2017 YLAI Fellow, Edgar Nahum Rodríguez González): Solar generator system that provides potable water and electric power to people around the world.
- PAHO Virtual Health Library: Safe Water and Sanitation on the 2030 Agenda for the Sustainable Development Goals
- The Water Institute at the University of North Carolina (WHO Collaborating Center)