Join us for the #YLAIEmpowers Communities digital initiative!
Working together toward a greater good.
Trabajando juntos, podemos hacer la diferencia. #YLAIFortalece la comunidad.
Over the next few weeks, we will be encouraging Network members to develop their leadership potential through volunteering, community organizing and service to address local needs and give back to their communities.
From individuals to businesses, social responsibility is a force for civil and economic vitality:
- Approximately 56 million people volunteer annually across South America — that’s more than Colombia’s total population.
- Volunteers in South America contribute $24.2 billion to global GDP. In 2004, volunteer work added over $2 billion to Argentina’s GDP alone.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that an hour of volunteering is worth roughly $24.69 — a valuable investment in local organizations receiving volunteer time, talent and energy.
- Haiti grows strong, one community at a time through volunteerism and service. By integrating volunteerism into entrepreneurship, YLAI members can help redefine business-community relations in Latin America.
- Mexican firms like Grupo Bimbo and Grupo Salinas practice corporate responsibility in ways that reflect Latin American history and cultural values because integrating social good into their business strategies is also good for business.
- Volunteerism builds social capital or the social networks that help individuals create communities that work efficiently and effectively and will eventually prosper.
- See how this Surinamese student plans to be an amazing community advocate
Looking for ideas for how you can give back? Consider organizing one of the following community action activities:
- Plant a tree or street clean up.
- Group volunteer activity through a business or community group.
- Pick up 10 pieces of litter on your way home or work.
- Beach clean up.
- Host an “open doors” day for people to learn about your business or teach a skill.
The #YLAIEmpowers Communities initiative is an opportunity for Network members to lead, organize, support or participate in volunteer efforts in their local communities. Communities prosper when every part of society invests in social good.
Focus these next few weeks on #YLAIEmpowers Communities and spread a culture of social responsibility everywhere the YLAI Network reaches! Use #YLAIEmpowers to share what you’re doing!